Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Resume Parts & Pieces, Skills, Systems, and Conclusion

While I was still employed at Grainger, a headhunter was discussing my resume with me one morning and asked me, "Wow, is there anything you haven't done?"

My skill set tends to be on the eclectic side, as does my work history, which stems from two drivers:
  • A need for challenge;
  • Opportunity seized when presented.
Hence, the reason for learning so many different and disparate computer systems and communication venues.  What follows is my competency in each:

  • Windows - Experienced. What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet;  
  • Excel - Experienced. What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet;
  • Word - Experienced. What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet;
  • Outlook - Experienced. What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet; 
  • PowerPoint - Novice.  What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet;
  • Mac equivalents - "Equivalents"referring to programs equivalent to Windows counterparts on the Mac, such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote...Experienced. What I don't know that may be needed for particular tasks I can teach myself with access to the Internet; 
  • Impact 360 - Experienced in both performance of the program and how it applies to importing data to Excel or other spreadsheet applications; 
  • Blue Pumpkin - Novice (my experience on this program was limited to agent status only).
  • Cisco supervisor and monitoring systems - Experienced in both performance of the program and how it applies to importing data to Excel or other spreadsheet applications;
  • AS400 systems - Experienced, but not to the point of programming or designing particular applications;
  • SAP - Experienced in both performance of the program and how it applies to importing data to Excel or other spreadsheet applications;
  • Forklift - Most experienced in stand-up model, novice in sit-down electric, no experience in gas-powered;
  • Man-lift - Most experienced in stand-up model, novice in sit-down electric, no experience in gas-powered;
  • WAVe - Experienced to the point of adjusting height limiter and step-off safety controls, with some trouble-shooting experience as well; 
  • Symbol operation and trouble-shooting - Experienced in terms of SAP applications; 
  • Certified to ship/process HazMat sales and shipments - Experienced in LTL, domestic, UPS/FedEx/USPS, and international Schedule B and documentation applications;  
  • CPR certified - Class only, no life experience.

In addition to this list, I also have a pretty comprehensive list of networking tools that I have in constant use, including but not limited to:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Tumblr
  • Google/Google +
  • Three book review networks
  • Rotten Tomatoes
  • Yelp
  • Meetup
And the list goes on and on. My primary passion is in having a dialogue, and if I am most successful at that in one place, I don't stop there--I open up the possibilities, World Wide Web style.

If I learn the systems that my employees need to learn, that my peers need to learn, and that my managers need to learn...and if I learn every way possible to communicate easier or more effective ways to utilize them so these groups of people, than I cannot expect to do anything less than succeed. And the company that I am committed to cannot expect anything less, as well.

Beginning next week I'll look at business issues in the news, and my thoughts on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment